Author Topic: Thinking about doing a chess set, in wire.  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Thrasym

Thinking about doing a chess set, in wire.
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:50:16 AM GMT GMT »
I was thinking about doing a wire chess set. Since someone suggested it in another forum...and I love chess. So I came up with this.

These are rough (obviously), the rook should have crenelations and I did the king and queen designs in the same piece. It's like 5 AM and my fingers hurt from working on a wire Nine Tailed Fox (from Naruto) for my son. So, I took a short cut. The picture should make it clear how I'm planning to make things look. The knight is abstract, it always bothers me when the horse is the only thing with any detail.

The pawn is about 1/2" x 1" tall, the queen would be just under 2" tall, the king is about 2 1/4" tall, both by 1" wide, the other 3 are about 1 1/2" x 3/4".

It is done in 18g galvanized steel.

Anybody still reading? Great! I'd love to get some feedback, good, bad, anything to either confirm it is just the best thing ever OR how it could be improved towards that goal. So don't hold back.

Click the thumb for a better view, one of these days I'll remember to re-size the picture (it was way too large to fit on the screen at full size).

Cheers.

Offline ink the troll

Re: Thinking about doing a chess set, in wire.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 02:27:30 PM GMT GMT »
Interesting approach and I definitely like it better than those chainmail chess sets I've seen. I'd say that the rook looks a bit too chunky compared to the others though.
Almost afraid to ask- are you going to build the board out of wire as well?
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Thrasym

Re: Thinking about doing a chess set, in wire.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 06:05:25 PM GMT GMT »
Thanks.  8-)

Yeah, it did turn out a little more robust than expected. I wanted it to look thick and sturdy, you know, like most would expect, but I may have overdone it.

If I could come up with even a semi-decent idea to make a wire board, I might try it, but I can't. If I had a welder or a way to reproduce tiles made of wire more accurately, I could probably produce something cool, but, that's not the case. Considering mounting the pieces on magnets and using a polished up steel blank as a board.