Author Topic: Hellbeard's WIP  (Read 29648 times)

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
Hellbeard's WIP
« on: January 26, 2013, 01:20:21 AM GMT GMT »
In this thread I'll post about an experimental, speculative project about 28mm Science Fiction soldiers. These troopers are a sort of air cav/paratroopers but in space. The first part of the project was to figure out a design. I was mostly concerned with it having a coherent look that was practical and aesthetically pleasing.
As part of the design process I sculpted and painted this 1:35 scale prototype / design sketch.

There are more details about the project on my Blog. Next I might do some sketching, start a couple of 28mm armatures, do another 1:35 sculpt or all of the above.

Comments, suggestions, questions and critiques (especially) will be met with deadly gratitude.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 10:50:46 PM BST GMT by Hellbeard »

Offline zorro

Re: Science Fiction Drop Troop
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 05:52:21 AM GMT GMT »
I think it looks good, though I would have liked tohave seen an unpainted version. I did go to your blog and have found some unpaintd pictures so my desire was quickly fulfilled :)
If I compare your sculpt with what I have seen from profesionals in the industry my only critique is that you nedd to make the edges sharper and the simmetry of the armour needs to be flawless.
Maybe add some straps for the pads.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 12:45:12 PM GMT GMT »
I think it looks good, though I would have liked tohave seen an unpainted version. I did go to your blog and have found some unpaintd pictures so my desire was quickly fulfilled :)
If I compare your sculpt with what I have seen from profesionals in the industry my only critique is that you nedd to make the edges sharper and the simmetry of the armour needs to be flawless.
Maybe add some straps for the pads.

Cool! I'm glad you found what you were looking for. Good critique. I will keep it in mind as I work on the project more. This is more of a quick sketch sort of business so I can have something to look at. I'm favorably considering making another one, possibly more finely made. Might do straps too. Thanks for the comment and critique.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 09:37:11 AM GMT GMT »
I don't have much to add, the proportions are nice. Just see if you can put some more work into the final detail for the next mini and you're on a very good way. A bit sharper edges, good symmetry and as a personal liking of me, I'd say make the cloth areas a bit more wrinkly and the armor parts even smoother to have a clear contrast in structure/texture between the two different materials. Still nice job. You can definately achieve this, it's just a matter of putting some more extra hours on top at the end.

There is a pic of the green on his blog btw.

Nice job!
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 11:08:13 AM GMT GMT »
I don't have much to add, the proportions are nice. Just see if you can put some more work into the final detail for the next mini and you're on a very good way. A bit sharper edges, good symmetry and as a personal liking of me, I'd say make the cloth areas a bit more wrinkly and the armor parts even smoother to have a clear contrast in structure/texture between the two different materials. Still nice job. You can definately achieve this, it's just a matter of putting some more extra hours on top at the end.

There is a pic of the green on his blog btw.

Nice job!

Wow, thanks so much! I'll keep your advice about the textures in mind; it makes a lot of sense.
I've got an idea to make a sort of amateur costume and pose for pictures so I can get that extra bit of realism.

Here's a little update about the design:

Some 2D sketches. Trying to find a nice futuristic gun design. I was mostly inspired by Kriss Vector and XM-29. I also want to get more of a handle on the "look" of the units.

Although the idea is for the units to be for the use of the player in whatever system is their favorite I am imagining a sort of back story to help me figure things out. I don't think I've got the chops to come up with a completely new system of play but I think it would help to have at least some stats to help players use the units in the system they already enjoy. I'm thinking mainly about Tomorrow's War as where they'd fit best. Any other systems that could use these guys?

The setting for now, very unrefined yet, is that human civilization has colonized the solar system and was almost utterly destroyed by an intergalactic space faring alien race who then moved on. The remains of humanity are now fending off the myriad hostile aliens who feed off the table scraps of the destroyers. It might still change a lot but it's got an interesting theme to it.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 11:13:45 PM GMT GMT »
Started a 1:35 prototype. The plan is for this to be the definitive design and to have it cast as part of the package should it ever see the light.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:57:02 PM GMT GMT »
Boot:

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 01:58:19 PM GMT GMT »
Excellent concepts, to my eyes.

The sculpt is coming along nicely, although... can I use my old whine about keeping the surface smooth?  I agree with Mati about wrinkled cloth, but some here seem to... waver a bit.  Particularly the wrinkles just about the back of the knee.  Maybe I'm getting realism mixed up with stylisation, but I think I'd rather see them a bit straighter, more 'direct'.

Something about the wrinkles down the front of the leg isn't convincing me either.  Like the tension wrinkles from the crotch and back of the leg are combining at the front to create the impression of a limp compression/spiral wrinkle.  I'd say flatten the cloth at the front of the leg, especially towards the knee, to show the leg pressing it flat.  Since the thigh is turned upwards a bit, maybe have a couple of the tension wrinkles from the crotch tilt up towards (and around?) the crease of the bending leg.

If that makes sense.  And if I could just find a decent photo to illustrate...

Edit: maybe try this one.  I don't know if the guy in the direct middle of the photo is the best example - I think full pockets are creating more wrinkles there - but him and the second and third from the left.  Judging by second from the left, your tension wrinkles might be okay as is, but I still say flatten down the front of the leg. ;)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 02:08:55 PM GMT GMT by Vermis »

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 05:02:29 PM GMT GMT »
Excellent concepts, to my eyes.

The sculpt is coming along nicely, although... can I use my old whine about keeping the surface smooth?  I agree with Mati about wrinkled cloth, but some here seem to... waver a bit.  Particularly the wrinkles just about the back of the knee.  Maybe I'm getting realism mixed up with stylisation, but I think I'd rather see them a bit straighter, more 'direct'.

Something about the wrinkles down the front of the leg isn't convincing me either.  Like the tension wrinkles from the crotch and back of the leg are combining at the front to create the impression of a limp compression/spiral wrinkle.  I'd say flatten the cloth at the front of the leg, especially towards the knee, to show the leg pressing it flat.  Since the thigh is turned upwards a bit, maybe have a couple of the tension wrinkles from the crotch tilt up towards (and around?) the crease of the bending leg.

If that makes sense.  And if I could just find a decent photo to illustrate...

Edit: maybe try this one.  I don't know if the guy in the direct middle of the photo is the best example - I think full pockets are creating more wrinkles there - but him and the second and third from the left.  Judging by second from the left, your tension wrinkles might be okay as is, but I still say flatten down the front of the leg. ;)

Thank you very much. I wanted to move so fast that only in retrospect I thought I should have studied some references more closely. I'll take a good look at what you've attached and try to improve it.

Offline Utgard-Loki

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:10:52 AM GMT GMT »
Yeah, currently the fabric on the left leg looks a bit like it's got "static cling."  But I agree with Vermis that the overall concept looks solid and your pencil sketches are especially exceptional.  If the final product ends up looking anything like those, then you're going to really have something.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 04:37:22 PM GMT GMT »
Yeah, currently the fabric on the left leg looks a bit like it's got "static cling."  But I agree with Vermis that the overall concept looks solid and your pencil sketches are especially exceptional.  If the final product ends up looking anything like those, then you're going to really have something.

Thanks for the lovely compliment. I'll rework the pant a little bit and try to be more reference oriented on the next one. I hope it turns out nice. :D

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 10:55:48 PM GMT GMT »
Tried to do better with pants leg. Thanks again, Vermis.

Another boot, another pant. Fold improvements.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2013, 09:49:38 PM GMT GMT »
Abdomen plates:

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 11:15:34 PM GMT GMT »

I've added the top armor. I've decided not to have the bottom flanging bits wrap around but be more like reactive armor modules, bolted on the base plates. I forgot the strap connection bits, but I'll add some evolutionary vestige of them later. I'll give it a bit of sanding and carving later to make it a smidge more machined.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 10:57:53 PM GMT GMT »
I'm a bit displeased with the pouches but the face is nice. And the armor looks much better after sanding.