Author Topic: Field stone buildings like the old forge world warhammer ones  (Read 2382 times)

Offline 45thdiv

Field stone buildings like the old forge world warhammer ones
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:26:26 AM GMT GMT »
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right spot, but I am looking for guidance on material to use to make the stacked stone look on miniature buildings like the old forge world ones.  Here is something similar

http://tabletop-world.com/blacksmithForge.php

The stones don't look to be card stock and I don't know if they are sculpted stone by stone.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matthew

Offline ink the troll

Re: Field stone buildings like the old forge world warhammer ones
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 02:39:39 AM GMT GMT »
Best/ easiest would be Styrofoam. Use a pencil/ biro to score/ inscribe the stone pattern.
You can use various things like crumbled alu foil or stones to add texture by pressing them onto the styrofoam.
Styrofoam has the advantage that you can also push some stones deeper into the material.

Foamed pvc (Forex) works for cleaner surfaces, it's fairly easy to score.

You could also cast some plaster sheets and then scratch the stone pattern into that once dry, but that'd be a fairly heavy building. Plus it's messy with all the dust.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 03:11:25 AM GMT GMT »
^^ That's probably the best way.

You can also get textured plastic sheets from Evergreen and Plastruct and maybe Woodland Scenics. Places like that. Locally you can find them in craft and hobby shops, modelling and train shops, etc.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:30:26 AM GMT GMT »
The tabletop world ones are actually made from individual "stone" pieces. I think I read that they are hand "snipped" strips of slate (?) this was on lead adventure forum so maybe try searching there.
Sorry I couldn't be more specific.

Offline 45thdiv

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:43:45 PM GMT GMT »
Thanks.  All of these ideas are great.  Andrew, I will go search that forum.  Thanks again.

Matthew