Author Topic: Fire Breathing Dragon test...now with %34 more Velociraptor...and %9 Mantis!!!  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Thrasym

I did this as a test, so no need to grind my gears about the lack of detail or the unfinished wings. Of course, if you feel pationately about it, feel free to grind my gears good and hard.

I'd still like to know what ya'll think. Click the thumb for a larger picture, click the picture you're taken to for an even larger picture...the thumb is almost useless.

Size wise, in its pose, there's just over 8" between wing tips, just over 5" head to tail, the "stream of fire" is about 5" long out of the mouth...the head is only 3/8" long by 3/16" wide. Made it with some stiffer than I'd expect steel wire I got at the dollar store ages ago, it's about half a millimeter wide...so it's around 24/25 AW/SW gauge I guess.

The legs do look a little awkward in the picture, not at all in the hand or other pictures...but I couldn't get them to look right at the viewing angle I wanted to show...so anyway. Imagine it flying overhead burning a village or cooking a cow for dinner.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:00:01 AM GMT GMT by Thrasym »

Offline Beefcake

Re: Requesting feedback on a Fire Breathing Dragon test I did in metal wire.
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 03:03:32 AM GMT GMT »
That's just awesome. I prefer a more lizard like face as this one seems kind of foggy to me. How did you get such a consistent twist in the wires. Is great work.

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:20:56 AM GMT GMT »
Thanks. I think it looks froggy because of the size, being so small the curve in the bends appear far less sharp. Since the head wasn't something I was trying to work out, I did just sort of block in its general shape without spending more time tightening up on the angles. I'm also a fan of the more lizard like faces but it is something I struggle with, achieving those details within the scale and proportions.

The twist will even out naturally as you twist more, apply more pressure, etc. As long as there isn't a large difference anywhere along the twist, it becomes more consistent the more you keep turning. If you're just a little careful at the start you can't avoid it looking consistent in the end.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 11:23:06 AM GMT GMT »
Out of curiosity: the dino-ish looking avatar of yours- is that something made out of wire as well (bit hard to tell from the tiny pic)?

You wrote that the dragon is a test piece. Will you use that as guide for an armature for a sculpted dragon or more as a sketch for another wire sculpture?
Thinking about it, you probably could use different coloured wires for a little army of dragons- copper wire for copper dragon, green florist wire for a forest dragon and so on. I think I even saw some pink coated wire, but a porkdragon may not be the most intimidating creature to ever take flight (hm, smoked ham).

Not a bad dragon, though Beefcake is right- it looks a little froggy in the head department. Wire sculptures can be fun to look at, this one definitely is. Quite like how you've created different textures by using different ways of bending/ twisting the wire.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 12:01:02 PM GMT GMT »
Yup. It's a pre-feather'ish Jurassic Park'esque Velociraptor. In its current state it looks like this (not done but close, it's been sitting on the shelf for, gosh, over 2 years now...now I feel old):

Turned out a little wider (ok, a whole lot wider) than I wanted but overall, I'm happy with the results:

^^click for bigger.

Test piece as in, a sort of three dimensional sketch, thinking about some of the proportions and the flames. All in wire, no clay or putty sculpting. I mean I do make armatures and play around with putties and clays, but this wasn't for that.

I do like the idea of a different coloured wire army of dragons! I've got the copper, steel, stainless, aluminum, galvanized, brass, green floral, black floral, and who knows what all else to do it. Maybe do a couple shiny youngsters and rusty/corroded older dragons? I've wanted to get my hands on some of that artist/craft wire (you know the coated copper stuff at the art stores?) for some time, do a red/orange/yellow phoenix! But it's a long way off on my list of things to do.

Offline ink the troll

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:17:54 PM GMT GMT »
The dino claws look pretty cool. Looking forward to see the Velociraptor finished!

And I quite like the idea of rusted dragons- that could probably also work for skeletal dragons in addition to not fully wrapping the limbs.

I think the pink wire I mentioned might have been something enamel coated on some online craft shop, probably a bit like the artist wires you mentioned.
sanity is for cowards
Blogthing

Offline Thrasym

Re: Fire Breathing Dragon test...now with %34 more Velociraptor!
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 04:59:00 PM GMT GMT »
I've been thinking about doing skeletons quite a bit lately. Actually, it's been a couple years. Haven't gotten around to it yet. It's a good way to circumvent many difficulties doing certain things in "my style".

Offline Badsmile

• Please call me Mati.
    • MASSIVE VOODOO
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 07:13:35 PM GMT GMT »
Oh that's nice stuff, hadn't seen it before. I really like the raptor, came out great. The dragon is great too.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 08:14:19 PM GMT GMT »
Nice work mate!

Offline Thrasym

Re: Fire Breathing Dragon test...now with %34 more Velociraptor...and %9 Mantis.
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 06:56:49 AM GMT GMT »
Thanks for the kudos, Moonmin and Badsmile.  :)

Posting up the other wire projects made me realize how many I've left unfinished. Wanting to finish some off, I was looking through a few of them and found this. It's "basically" finished. I may file down the Maxilla and Labium Palps (mouth pincer ala Predator thingies) so they're thinner and pointy. Same with the Tibia and Tarsus (the last section on the arms). But aside from that, it's done. Just needs some green paint and glue in the holes.

It's on a cork coaster (with rubber pads/feet) which is 103mm or 4.125". Done with 20 gauge galvanized steel (0.81 mm diameter). The mantis itself, not including the base, stands just touch under 3" to the tips of the antenna as posed.

And with that, I'd like to hear what you think, what you like, what you don't like, suggestions for improvement, preferences, whatever. Don't be shy about criticizing, I'm asking for it. 

Click the thumbs for larger pics (you really gotta, the wires are hard enough to see, especially on that coaster):

Also fishing for thoughts (good and bad) on the other wire projects I posted, so if you're new to the party or if you held back, please let it out.

Offline Icy

• warfairy.net
Re: Fire Breathing Dragon test...now with %34 more Velociraptor...and %9 Mantis!!!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 06:11:00 PM GMT GMT »
This is great stuff, keep it up !

I don't like the use of twisted wire for the dragon's wingbones, doesn't fit imo - mantis and Velociraptor are superb.

Cheers

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
Re: Fire Breathing Dragon test...now with %34 more Velociraptor...and %9 Mantis!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 07:21:56 PM GMT GMT »
Your bug work is great. Must have a lot of patience mate.

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 07:48:56 PM GMT GMT »
This is great stuff, keep it up !

I don't like the use of twisted wire for the dragon's wingbones, doesn't fit imo - mantis and Velociraptor are superb.

Cheers

Thanks and agreed. I think it looks out of place too. I did it to lengthen the wingspan, after I had filled out the body I realized I had missed the mark on the wing length and that was an easy solution. Normally, I wouldn't do that, I'd rather start over but that's why I wanted to do some tests.

Your bug work is great. Must have a lot of patience mate.

Thanks again. Depends who you talk to. I have no patience for some things. I could never be a teacher. I'm a total wreck trying to teach my son anything, I mean, really, I need help. Lucky for him, he's got a good head on his shoulders.

But, oddly, I enjoy the tedious things, like base work in modelling, preparation and finishing in carving and sculpting (I.E. all the sanding and cleaning and polishing), so I can do that stuff forever and a day. Which is where most of this wire stuff falls, wrapping countless wires around other wires, until my fingers fall off.

It's a real problem sometimes, you never notice how much damage you're doing while you're doing it, then you go to drink your coffee or Coke Zero as is more often for me and you yelp in pain and drop it. Spending the next 11 days recovering from the blisters and joint pain before you can have your caffeine pain free again. But we all know what that's like, I'm sure.

The good thing with what I tend to do, it's mostly mindless, once I do all the research, make all the decisions, get to a certain point in the project, I can just go without thought, filling in the space as required. So, spend that time in front of the TV or streaming laptop. Unlike more traditional sculpting that takes far more concentration throughout.

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 11:21:54 PM GMT GMT »
Finished off the mantis, I plan to take better pictures soon but here's a crappy phone pic for the time being (click for larger as per the usual):

I'm not sure why these thumbs seem to randomly show up as X's, on and off at different times, but if that happens you can still click on them and your browser should open up the larger picture. Just FYI, in case.