Author Topic: Africa  (Read 1718 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Africa
« on: January 09, 2013, 11:24:44 PM GMT GMT »
I've left it a week too late to start gushing about it, but this wildlife documentary series from the BBC is where it's at.  Proper oldschool Attenborough, best in the world. :)  Spectacular films of wildlife, landscape and nature.  It's difficult to point out any highlights, but the duelling giraffes from the first episode certainly stand out.

It's on the BBC iplayer now, for brits who missed any episodes.  I'm not sure what anyone outside those borders can see, or how long they have to wait to see it.  Sorry!  There are some clips and videos up on youtube, though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p010jc6p

http://www.youtube.com/user/BBC/videos?query=africa

Offline Andrew May

Re: Africa
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 11:45:35 PM GMT GMT »
Superb programming, a good use of the licence fee! I was particularly inspired by the night time filming of the rhinos, the vocalising and capering were very surprising indeed! Somehow managed to miss it tonight?!?! So iplayer it'll be.
:)

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:43:17 PM GMT GMT »
Just caught up on the latest episode. More superb television, a little bit of me can't help but think it's been superficial but it is quickly silenced. The combination of coverage of uncommon animals and situations combined with such beautiful visuals is  awe inspiring in the true sense of the phrase. The series is shaping up to be a perfect primer for anyone that has a passing interest in the field.
Highlights today were the bizzare primeval looking shoebill and the surprisingly dynamic deluding bull elephants.
...and of course I pretended not to be upset at that poor baby elephant. :,(

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:03:18 AM GMT GMT »
Was nodding a tad due to excess bacon chop and dangerous amounts of pease pudding tonight but managed to take in 75%.
Was most enlightening as my brother recently returned from doing conservation work in the rainforest in Cameroon.......I'm so glad that it wasn't me trekking through the 100% humidity hot-as-hell jungle!

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 07:56:28 PM GMT GMT »
So they just started airing this on Discovery here in Canada. Wow. Great imagery. Much of it does seem a little too convenient, but, even if that is true, it's still a good story worth watching. The visuals are so stunning.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 12:49:12 AM GMT GMT »
Missed it this time. Inconceivable! Good thing it's recorded, though. ;)  I'll have to get to it.

Andrew: Heh! Is there anywhere he hasn't been?

Thrasym: I don't know if the series easily tops those giraffes, but it's well worth sticking with.  Wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of judicious editing to keep a narrative in one piece; but then they make it up at the end with stories of sitting around for days, before something turns up to be filmed. ;)