Author Topic: Puppet Monster Illustration  (Read 1849 times)

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
Puppet Monster Illustration
« on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:09 AM GMT GMT »
This thread will document an illustration that I'm working on. I hope to include this piece of concept art as a print with casts of the accompanying miniature which I am sculpting.

Original concept sketches:

The WIP thread for the sculpt can be found here:

http://minisculpture.co.uk/index.php?topic=1226.0

WIP shots of the illustration so far, painted in watercolour:

I've been running my illustration through a sepia and "antique photo" filter to assess contrast. It's been useful for visualising what I need to do next and I think the overall effect fits the mood pretty well.

I've printed off a greyscale print of my illustration and annotated with some notes of things to do:

Using another print I've cut the character out to overlay with some cloud images I've also printed. This should make achieving the sky I want much easier:

I'll be continuing the illustration with more watercolour and finishing with blank pen, pencil crayons and acrylic paints. Having said that I'd better trial the acrylics on an inconspicuous area to check for colour bleed. I guess if I use it fairly neat that shouldn't pose a problem. I do want to thin it down for the clouds though so we'll have to see...

I'll resize the images when I get a chance...

« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 11:45:57 AM GMT GMT by moonmin82 »

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
Re: Puppet Monster Illustration
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 05:51:17 PM GMT GMT »
Started adding acrylics: white paint and blue / black washes for the sky. I decided to paint the face entirely in acrylics hoping that bold colours and contrasts would help it stand out. There are many hours of work ahead!

Offline grimni22

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 06:06:39 PM BST GMT »
Looks cool! I think the rider completes it, dunno if you decided to get it off but I think you shouldn't.

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 10:46:44 PM BST GMT »
Thanks! I'll be making a return to painting this (and sculpting the accompanying mini) in the coming weeks. Currently no plans to include the rider but will be coming to this afresh so anything goes!