Author Topic: Concept Art How-To's?  (Read 2476 times)

Offline Deathwing

Concept Art How-To's?
« on: December 14, 2012, 03:16:11 AM GMT GMT »
Hi folks.  Long story short I am commissioning a small range of miniatures for a very good sculptor.  Now I have a artist doing concept work for the miniatures, but I figure he has never done that type of work before.  Seeing how this is all new to me, does anyone having any hits, tips, or other ideas to provide the artist to help him out.  Thanks.

Joey

Offline Venger

Re: Concept Art How-To's?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 02:36:43 AM GMT GMT »
It depends on how much free reign you're giving the artist & sculptor.

1: You could be very specific - describing the pose, intent, weapons and armour and providing reference images.
2: A looser brief - "I want a male halfling thief in leather armour armed with a sword" and leave it up to the artist.
3: Design the figure but in a relaxed pose and leave the pose up to the sculptor.

To the artist: Try not to be to stylistic - unless that's how it's suppose to look. Be careful of applying loads of detail (remember it's going to be sculpted 25- 35mm).
Try to describe the forms on objects, especially if its something you've made up (like a twisted staff over a sword), so the sculptor has an idea when reproducing it in 3D.
Try not to make up armour if you don't really know how it goes together - go do some research, a simple understanding of how to wear armour and what goes where can make a figure really stand out.

Could be a simple front shot with added extras, it could be a front/back shot with detail additions, or it could be a front/back/side image.

Don't get to attached (don't expect everything you do on a concept to make it to a figure) it's a joint venture.

Offline Deathwing

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 02:45:35 AM GMT GMT »
Thanks for the info.  I have passed on to my artist.   He has definitely hit the ground running.

Joey

Offline zorro

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 05:13:22 PM GMT GMT »
I don not think I can add anything to what Des has written, but I find thius info from the reaper site useful, there are some examples as well:
Concept Designers

There's a big difference between illustrating and designing a figure. Concept artists should have the ability to visualize a miniature in 3-D and put it into a 2-D format.

A sculptor is going to use your concept art and will need as much information as possible to fully realize the finished miniature. Be sure to show things like a back view, fun details, and notes to explain something that could be overlooked or misinterpreted.

The important thing to remember is that a great illustration might not make a great miniatures design, and vice versa.

Here's our gold standard for concept art. Note how Talin and Wayne Reynolds provide reverse views and notes on important details.

Offline Deathwing

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:54:06 AM GMT GMT »
Thank you for the additional support.

Joey