Author Topic: In which direction is the forum headed to?  (Read 3011 times)

Offline zorro

In which direction is the forum headed to?
« on: December 08, 2012, 11:20:29 PM GMT GMT »
I am not sure, where I want to go with this topic, but I will jump into it non the less :)
Right, so let me start by saying, probably one of my favourite things is looking at miniature sculpts (especially the "greens"), WIP shots and sculpting tutorials.
There are severeal forums devoted to this subject matter, but they are all unique in their own way.
After reading this topic [content warning]- http://www.frothersunite.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=42153 -[content warning] over at Frothers, I relised that, though I deraly love frothers, and get a few good laughs from reading the topics posted there, it is not  the english equivalent of, lets say the french forum minicreateurs.com.
This is not a bad thing, however I do really wish there was such a Forum.
And of course there is one: minsculpture.co.uk fits the bill perfectly.
What I am getting at is that this is a forum, where we can hope to see topics by Jérémie Bonamant Teboul and the like, we just need to spread the word :)
So thank you all, for your contribution so far! I hope to see many new topics and new members in the future.
I really think that this forum has the potential to become THE go to place for all novice and experienced sculptors, regardless of their nationlity.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 06:53:37 PM GMT GMT by zorro »

Offline Andrew May

Re: In which direction is the forum headed to?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 09:29:07 AM GMT GMT »
:cringe: Frothers is great in it's own particular way but it does bring out the worst in people.....
It would me nice to see more "pro" sculptors here, I wish I could show more of my commission work.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 08:57:24 PM GMT GMT »
I was going to say 'thanks', but I can't claim enough credit for that - especially over the past few months! :P  So I'll add my thanks to all the members and contributors: beginner, amateur and pro, for all your sculpting, discussions, news and insights.

What I am getting at is that this is a forum, where we can hope to see topics by Jérémie Bonamant Teboul and the like, we just need to spread the word :)
I really think that this forum has the potential to become THE go to place for all novice and experienced sculptors, regardless of their nationlity.

I had thoughts like that myself, way back at the start.  I still have them, lurking about the back of my head.
The forum - the files and layout at least - still hasn't recovered from the last fit/hack-attack it had, as lonmg ago as it was.  Most of the blame for that is on me, but I'm still going to point a finger at the various bugs and hiccups of Simple Machines forum software. ;)  I'm pretty dissatisfied with it's limitations, and I plan to switch to something else in the future, along with revamping the look, adding new features etc.  Something that'll hopefully boost the functionality for the community - existing and potential.
But for that, and if it doesn't sound too much like a bad excuse, I'd prefer to have a go on a computer that doesn't take ten minutes to load up, or freeze and collapse after five minutes of looking at google image search results.  The 'new computer' fund's building up, and as this thing is getting more decrepit every week, it won't be too much longer before that upgrade, and then onto the next. :)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:24 AM GMT GMT »
Oh, that Frothers topic.  I didn't click on the link before.  With that in mind I'd say Frothers isn't the english equivalent of anything with an inkling of sanity.

Frothers is great in it's own particular way but it does bring out the worst in people...

Quoted for truth.  Though I'd be tempted to remove the 'in' from between 'worst' and 'people', at times.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 04:43:23 PM GMT GMT »
:cringe: Frothers is great in it's own particular way but it does bring out the worst in people.....
It would me nice to see more "pro" sculptors here, I wish I could show more of my commission work.

I 100% agree with that sentiment, Frothers is an entertaining forum but it's denizens can only be described in words that are no allowed on this forum (but are allowed on Frothers).

Typical Frothers forumite..

The Mini Sculpture forum is too quiet most of the time so I'd rather like to see it merged with a larger gaming forum since it doesn't really quite justify it's own website but this place is so much more polite and civilized than Frothers.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 07:32:14 PM GMT GMT »
Well, I don't know. This forum could be more but still focused on the sculpting side of things. Maybe I'd better find some "news" to post, just keep the comments mainly constructive and more about the sculpting and less about how cool etc something is.

Offline zorro

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 04:57:44 PM GMT GMT »
I will make an effort to post some minis that are quite impressing IMO and are usually not posted-only at the sculptors blog-on other forums...

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:35 PM GMT GMT »
I actually enjoy the board really being focused on sculpting. There are so many painting boards and blogs already, the same goes for gaming. I'd rather welcome if it would remain a place for discussion, help and exchange for sculpting enthusiasts. There is not too much happening but more posts will come as more users come and there is way more going on on the site than a year ago. I think the board is on a good way and I really enjoy coming here.

As for Frothers, the place has been weirder than usual lately.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline zorro

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 11:14:03 PM GMT GMT »
I agree with Mati.
It would be splendid if we could entice a few more established sculptors to share their experience and show off their work, perhaps get some of the people who are interseted in historical themes (like the User named bonehead at planetfigure).