Author Topic: Bundeswehr 20mm/1:72  (Read 12564 times)

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
Bundeswehr 20mm/1:72
« on: October 21, 2012, 12:58:20 AM BST GMT »
Hi dudes, I'm back from my slump.

New project : 1:72/20mm Bundeswehr modern Afghanistan infantry. I'm making these as a sort of pilot commission for working with a young German company. The first batch is 5 figures, shooting small arms. Here's where I got so far with the first one.

I'll update when I've made some more significant progress. If you want more regular updates just check out my blog.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
Re: Bundeswehr 20mm/1:72
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 11:36:15 PM BST GMT »
Just posting this progress on this 20mm/1:72 german.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 10:42:52 AM BST GMT »
As much as I hate it to point it out, but I think your upper body ( including the head ) is too small for the legs, or the other way around. A pity since the torso seems nicely detailed, I say cut the legs and keep the torso if it is closer to your aimed scale.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2012, 12:24:48 PM BST GMT »
As much as I hate it to point it out, but I think your upper body ( including the head ) is too small for the legs, or the other way around. A pity since the torso seems nicely detailed, I say cut the legs and keep the torso if it is closer to your aimed scale.

I see what you mean. I'm going to soldier on nonetheless. I am working very closely with to scale size reference. The torso might be a smidge on the small side but alot of the width is going to come from the shoulders/deltoids so I hope that will make it more pleasing. We'll see how it goes but in any event I am learning more as I go. If it's really problematic I will resort to more drastic measures.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
    • putty down!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2012, 01:17:04 PM BST GMT »
I'd say check your reference again, it is more than a smidge. I changed the pic a bit and resized the torso according to the length of the femurs. It was at least 30% and it could be even larger.

I'd say chop the legs now and save yourself some hassle, cutting minis and fixing errors on the way is an important lesson that you shouldn't miss out on on behalf of "just finishing" a sculpt imo. Go for it, I know it hurts the first time, but you will get used to it.^^

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 02:35:00 PM BST GMT »
fixing errors on the way is an important lesson that you shouldn't miss out on on behalf of "just finishing" a sculpt imo. Go for it, I know it hurts the first time, but you will get used to it.

The valuable lessons are always the hardest. I always learn and improve more when I correct my mistakes as well. When I leave mistakes in the finished project, all I'm left with is regret and shame. Even though I'm the only one who seems to notice them most of the time.

However, I'm horrible at judging scale and proportion on other peoples half finished sculpts so...even though it did look off in a couple angles (to me) I wasn't sure if the legs were too long or not.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 09:13:38 PM BST GMT »
I'd say check your reference again, it is more than a smidge. I changed the pic a bit and resized the torso according to the length of the femurs. It was at least 30% and it could be even larger.

I'd say chop the legs now and save yourself some hassle, cutting minis and fixing errors on the way is an important lesson that you shouldn't miss out on on behalf of "just finishing" a sculpt imo. Go for it, I know it hurts the first time, but you will get used to it.^^

You're right and I'm very very grateful you had the integrity to push the point. It's already looking better.

Worked on pockets, added one set of magazine pouches, ears and nose enhancement.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 09:19:36 PM BST GMT »
Another progress update. I don't know if I'm paranoid or is the leg not right again?

I think my mind is playing tricks on me.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
    • putty down!
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 11:35:57 AM BST GMT »
I am with your mind here, it is prety accurate as you can see. ^^ Learn to trust it. When it seems too long, it most probably is.

Again, here I would recommend using the backlight technique of the mighty silhouette that was developed by master Wang-Liu on the top of the mountain of sillyness, clay and other things. Hold the mini in front of some lightsource and try to only see the silhouette of the figure without being able to see the actual volumes or any detail. The shape will give proportion mistakes away easy and make it more probable to spot them as the eye is not distracted by all the other stuff. You will instinctively know if there is something wrong with the lengths and proportions.

Master Wang-Liu always said: The mind does contain the most advanced shape recognition software in the known universe so far, young grasshopper, make use of it. 

Master Wang-Liu meditating in front of the sculpted well of lubricating liquids for sculpting tools, in the mighty garden of putties on the mountain of sillyness, clay and other things.

Sorry for the silly post, but it's friday and yes, that is a valid excuse. :D

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2012, 02:27:41 PM BST GMT »
Curses.
Look what you made me do:

This time, since re-doing the leg would have been silly, I redid the torso. The leg is pretty much as the reference. The torso was quite undersized. The deltoids will really bring it home, I think.

The shape of the helmet is a little off, I'll try to fix it when I add the cover. I've also been advised that I need to add a p8 pistol so that'll go on the left hand side of his vest.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2012, 09:05:11 PM BST GMT »
Small update:

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 09:56:01 PM GMT GMT »
More again. Not pleased at all with right hand and will shave off and re-do.

As ever, the blog is more detailed.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 09:44:09 PM GMT GMT »
Almost totally finished with this first 1:72 Bundeswehr infantryman.

Comments very welcome.

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 11:52:27 AM GMT GMT »
looks pretty good so far, couple of points, he is leaning back instead leaning into the rifle and the rifle handle looks too large

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2012, 01:28:05 PM GMT GMT »
looks pretty good so far, couple of points, he is leaning back instead leaning into the rifle and the rifle handle looks too large

Thanks for the feedback. I agree on the pose. The handle is too big. I'm not sure what to do about it because it's got a bit of wire in it for structure and I don't know how much more thin I can make it before the material starts falling off.