Author Topic: I am in need of 28mm head & face tutorials!  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Ninja_Butler

I am in need of 28mm head & face tutorials!
« on: September 06, 2012, 08:04:36 PM BST GMT »
I'm getting there, but I still can't find an easy or reliable method for sculpting 28mm heads. I've been building up the neck using Greenstuff without a wire, but I think I'll try going back to adding a pin (typo fixed!) as support for the head and neck; it's difficult to bring the head forward to the correct position.

This is one I was working on a couple of weeks ago; compare it to the 1995 Warhammer Wood Elf..

Mine looks kind of okay but when it's put next to a professional sculpt you can immediately see it's still a bit on the "blobby" side and it lacks the same sharp, defined lines. Also, if you see the Wood Elf face-on, the head is barely more than half the width as the one on mine! How do they do it?! I can just about sculpt a "large" head but getting them down to those wispy proportions is murder.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 05:06:02 AM BST GMT by Ninja_Butler »

Offline Icy

• warfairy.net
Re: I am in need of 28mm head & face tutorials!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 01:10:27 AM BST GMT »
Are you working in layers or is this a one-step face ?

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:05:20 AM BST GMT »
Hi Icy.

In layers, but not enough layers I think. The face basically has three layers - or four if you include the head: neck first; a small blob on top for core of the head; then bulked out slightly and then the face is added. I did the ears last and added more to the chin because for some reason I always lose the chin when I try to sculpt the face.

If I added just one more layer I bet I could complete the details of the face, but then it will be too bulky! Perhaps I just need to learn better underpinning; I was watching a Miniature Mentor tutorial and the way the guy does the head is to create a skull first, but he's working in 32mm scale and the technique he uses for that I'm not sure is practical (or even possible) at 28mm scale; trying to press eyeballs onto a 28mm skull,  they just fall off! 

Offline InternalClock

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:31:26 AM BST GMT »
No matter what kind of head I try I always end yp with a scared old man :P

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:58:28 AM BST GMT »
When I sculpt with pro create I mix a bit of super sculpy into the whole mix to give me more time and make the putty smoother. To make the head I start with a basic shape layer, forming the skull but with a good portion of putty missing where the face will be. Let it set. Now add putty for the face and give it facial shapes before making any details. try to make the eyesockets, nose and mouth volumes without pushing too deep. When the volumes are right you can go and start making details. When you are satisfyed with the face let it set. Afterwards take the head again, look at it intensly and fix the spots that need to be fixed since you didn't see them the first time. By adding very very tiny bits of putty you can change or correct many little tweaks in the face.

A few things of note:
-The further you put the eyes up or make the eyesockets deeper, the older your mini will look.
-The mouth area is not just fluffy skin or muscle tissue, make sure there is enough volume to represent the teeth inside.
-Make sure you can see the ears when you look at the mini from the front.
-Check and recheck proportions and relations in the face as long as yo are not 100% firm using them.
-Make sure the skull is still "visible" in the head
-The face does NOT take up the whole area of the head, that's a mistake that is often done when sculpting. Make sure your face is smaller than the head is.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 09:20:40 AM BST GMT »
There's not much difference between a 28mm and 32mm scale heads, can't imagine it should make a whole lot of difference in how you work.  But maybe that method doesn't suit your style.

Regardless of the size, I always do the same thing. Make a smaller roughly shaped form, with key points marked out or sculpted into it (basically just a smaller version with less details). After that cures, I start adding layers to bulk out the form to the proper size and finalize the details. I need to work on top of a hard layer right underneath. Like, I need the chin and nose and cheeks and jaw and ocular cavity (or eyeballs, depending) all represented on the bulked out armature before the final stages are started. I don't know how they do a head in one stage over only an upside down egg shape to bulk it up. Practice I guess, lots and lots of practice.

I guess I can't help with specifics that much but if you have trouble sculpting "small" heads (28mm scale, so, 3.7mm tall?), then you can try sculpting "smaller" heads until you get used to it (15mm scale perhaps, so, 2mm tall?), THEN when you go back to doing "small" you'll find it so much easier as it's huge by comparison.

Offline Icy

• warfairy.net
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 09:40:35 AM BST GMT »
Depending on the sculpt I sometimes like to attach eyeballs and a nose to my first layer, then sculpt nostrils and the rest of the face around it. Might be worth a try if you've got trouble pushing eyeballs into sockets (which should work by way, if you don't use putty which is still too soft, let it cure for a few minutes, then try again, mix in more of the yellow stuff if necessary).

Also, I wouldn't use even more layers, did the same at first and my faces got bulkier and bulkier.

Every mistake you made on a former layer you carry on to the next. If you end up with the same face again and again, you might probably want to try getting better in the first instead of the final steps.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:56:32 PM BST GMT by Icy »

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 07:46:24 PM BST GMT »
No matter what kind of head I try I always end yp with a scared old man :P

I've seen your other stuff, I haven't seen heads on them yet but I can't imagine you have all that much trouble doing heads. You seem to be better at sculpting than me anyway.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 07:48:20 PM BST GMT »

To make the head I start with a basic shape layer, forming the skull but with a good portion of putty missing where the face will be. Let it set. Now add putty for the face and give it facial shapes before making any details. try to make the eyesockets, nose and mouth volumes without pushing too deep. When the volumes are right you can go and start making details.

I like that, I am paying special attention to these tip. :-)

edit*

Right, one more go.
I've done a couple of simple skull shapes for underpinning. Lets see how I do this time.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 05:12:02 PM BST GMT by Ninja_Butler »