Author Topic: What's on my desk WIP's.  (Read 10391 times)

Offline Ninja_Butler

Re: What's on my desk WIP's.
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2014, 11:13:52 PM BST GMT »
Thanks Zorro. You're right, I  play with slightly different methods, and even though I DO pay attention to the pelvis and ribcage, somehow I mess them up very quickly especially the pelvis.  Almost everything you see in those photos I have already taken a knife to and reshaped to some degree, and it's usually the area of the hips and pelvis that is the first thing to be altered.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2014, 01:05:04 PM BST GMT »
Progress. :-)
There's a lot of stuff that happens in the hips and pelvis, or to be more accurate around the hips and pelvis. It's the centre of gravity and the whole body moves around them.  I should have been paying more attention from the start.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2014, 12:13:21 AM GMT GMT »
Two big improvements this week:

1. Custom sculpting tool! I might put up a photo tomorrow; I took a straight dental tool, bashed the end repeatedly with a hammer and ground the tip to a knife shape. I now have a sculpting tool with an end that is about a quarter of the size of a normal one, and it is VERY useful. In fact, I would say even to the experts out there to go and make one. Even if you're good at using just the tip of a sculpting tool, having a tiny blade allows easier access under the arms and between the legs.

2. Flat.. flat, flat, flat. Flatter, flatter, flatter... A tip from Zorro helped me out here, I've realized that I need to make the basic shape of the torso VERY flat; it's a flat curvy shape. Flat, flat, flat! It's midnight, I'm dog tired, and I'd really love to do some more work on the figure in front of me right now, but I can't keep my eyes open. At last, finally I have a torso that looks like it should.

It's almost comical. I have spent YEARS trying to figure it out, and when I did it took all of 5 minutes!

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2014, 09:22:11 AM GMT GMT »
It's almost comical. I have spent YEARS trying to figure it out, and when I did it took all of 5 minutes!

This is why exchange with others is so very important. You can save those years of trial and error if you get pointed into the right direction. And congrats!^^

skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2015, 12:16:22 AM BST GMT »
And once again back to square one! I have just figured out something I have been doing wrong: When I make the wire skeleton, the hips should be narrower. I figured it out when I accidentally started on a miniature that was too tall - more like 40mm than 32mm, and I noticed that the proportions of the legs compared to the torso were better. Thise pictures of the wire skeletons above.. all WRONG. Wrong, wrong, wrong. Hips too big.

If I had only figured it out sooner I could have saved a lot of time. So, if you're a novice and you are making wire skeletons, don't be like me,  get it correct from the beginning. If the skeleton is wrong, the errors will carry to the sculpt.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2017, 09:31:57 PM BST GMT »
It's been a little while, but..

These are some female armatures I am working on. I've made some significant improvements, not the least of which was swapping from plain Greenstuff to a Greenstuff + Brownstuff mix, and making the skeletons the right size; I had been making them at 32mm size but sculpting them as 28mm. Idiot mistake! I have taken to filing/sanding my armatures to "sharpen" them, which has very definitely improved the quality.

(Please excuse the poor photo quality, the room was a bit dark.)

My best attempt so far is this one which has had just a little bit of putty added:

I'm sure there are errors - I am still struggling to get the butt in the right position, and I keep making the spine too bent. But, it's progress.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2017, 09:51:27 PM BST GMT »
Looking at the sub-forums on  this messageboard, I think I'll make this my last post. The website is basically dead now, it's just some pro sculptors hawking their wares and spam links.