Author Topic: What's on my desk WIP's.  (Read 12390 times)

Offline bennett.

• The Skirmisher
Re: What's on my desk WIP's.
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 10:17:28 PM BST GMT »
I think the forth one from the left looks nice! But I suppose this is the way you did it before, didn't you? I just can't see what bends you do on the other armatures, could you do a close up of one of them please?

And I think it is admirable how enduring you are, I could never sit down an hour per day and force me to sculpt. You should really pic out a picture of your start and then compare it to a new picture, I think you'll see that you have improved hugely!

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 11:13:53 PM BST GMT »
Thanks Bennett. I have improved, but why must I be such a slow learner? Slow, slow slow. I'm sure I have some old skeletons somewhere but I can't find them at the moment, they're mostly just very straight stick-figure type skeletons.

This picture is of one I was working on earlier, the skeleton took about 45mins to make and I added some GS - another 20 minutes.
There is no head, neck or arms yet.
(edit* she's tall - she'll be about 35mm I think - but that was by choice this time rather than error).
(edit number 2* the ruler is in inches not centimeters)

This is another one I started. I'm not sure how it will turn out (it's female btw) but you can see the kinks at the hips and knees more clearly. Also the feet are kinked so the heels will not have to be flat to the ground. The thighs are bowed slightly - adding a curve makes it easier to make the thighs curved.. I don't know why, it just does.

These are some I was working on a few months ago. They're not quite abandoned yet, but I don't know if I will use them. Probably easier to start over.

This is a close-up of an old male armature:

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 11:19:11 PM BST GMT by Ninja_Butler »

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 08:43:51 PM BST GMT »
I'd suggest actually finishing at least some of those dollies, it is totally OK to make mistakes, but if you avoid making them ( as in continue the sculpting process till the end ) you'll never actually make those mistakes and can't learn from them. A lot of small improvements can already be achieved with a better tool, better as in more comfortable and suited to your style of work that is. Maybe a smaller tool might help with detail and a rounder tool with surfaces. A change of putty might also do the trick, I myself find sculpting in green stuff to be quite annoying for example.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 11:03:37 PM BST GMT »
I'd suggest actually finishing at least some of those dollies, it is totally OK to make mistakes, but if you avoid making them ( as in continue the sculpting process till the end ) you'll never actually make those mistakes and can't learn from them. A lot of small improvements can already be achieved with a better tool, better as in more comfortable and suited to your style of work that is. Maybe a smaller tool might help with detail and a rounder tool with surfaces. A change of putty might also do the trick, I myself find sculpting in green stuff to be quite annoying for example.

Thanks Mati, my Zahle wax carving tools are excellent, and I have tried a variety of different tools (I use perhaps 5 or 6 tools on a sculpt) so I think the errors are 100% me and not the tools. You always make it look so easy! I might get better luck if I sculpted in a larger scale, but I am obsessed with achieving 28mm and 32mm scale. I will try Fimo polymer clay again (failed several times in the past), GreenStuff is what I always use but I might learn something new with Fimo.

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2014, 11:07:30 AM BST GMT »
I had never seen this thread before! I never scroll below the "Finished Sculpts" line...

Nice array of dollies you have there. The new female one looks like a great start. I agree about getting some finished, but feel like a hypocrite for saying so as I have a mountain of unfinished sculpts myself!

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2014, 07:43:08 PM BST GMT »
I had never seen this thread before! I never scroll below the "Finished Sculpts" line...

Nice array of dollies you have there. The new female one looks like a great start. I agree about getting some finished, but feel like a hypocrite for saying so as I have a mountain of unfinished sculpts myself!

I always seem to start well, but after that.. But this time I shall succeed!

Notes to self:
If you can't see the wire, you've added too much putty.
Use really tiny amounts of GS, any extra just adds unwanted bulk.
If it looks wrong, it probably is.

The view from my window this evening:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:30:37 PM BST GMT by Ninja_Butler »

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2014, 10:51:29 PM BST GMT »

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 04:39:14 PM BST GMT »
October 4th 2014..

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:45:29 PM BST GMT by Ninja_Butler »

Offline bennett.

• The Skirmisher
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 07:05:31 PM BST GMT »
You're crazy! In the best way possible! ;-)

I really like start of the centaur, I just think that the horse body needs some bulking out.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 07:20:04 PM BST GMT »
Thanks Bennet ;-)
Yeah, it's a female centaur (centauress? centaurette?) so for the dolly I've kept it very spindly/thin so that I don't add too much bulk in the wrong places. TBH I'm not happy with the height and length, I should have made it shorter and less tall. But it's a just a little side-project.

Offline bennett.

• The Skirmisher
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 07:23:13 PM BST GMT »
No, I wouldn't make it shorter. Rather a little bit longer to fit the height... Will you finish it? If so, do you have a plan for the rest? Will it look like the Narnian Centaurettes? ;-)

Btw. I send you a message...

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2014, 12:57:04 PM BST GMT »
I'm thinking boobs & butt for the female centaur, so I won't be making it in a "realistic horse" shape. I want the legs to look slightly human and feminine. Pervy I know. :-)

I've had to cut down some of my armatures (again!) because they were too tall. Shorter, shorter, shorter.. I can't believe how short they need to be, first I think "yes, finally I have made them small enough" but then when I do a size comparison against a metal miniature.. too tall.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2014, 08:43:13 PM BST GMT »
My fingers ache. But.. some success. I have 75% finished sculpting a head and it almost looks presentable. Worth the effort.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2014, 03:55:51 PM BST GMT »

And in the cold light of day, it looked terrible.

*sigh* Try again...

Offline zorro

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2014, 07:17:42 PM BST GMT »
Wow, you have a ton of stuff going on. Some of the armatures seem great. I see you have attempted different methods. I Think the hardest part is getting the pelvis right. You could try and add the ribcage the pelvis and the skull shape first and pose the armature later. It helps me get the dynamics of the sculpt better, though I am also still looking for the optimal way to do things..