Author Topic: Montana Black spray paints?  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Montana Black spray paints?
« on: August 16, 2012, 10:02:22 PM BST GMT »
I tried the Montana Gold range long ago, under the impression it was Montana Cans' matt range.  Ten very shiny space marines later, I swore off it; but I didn't read between the lines and I've only recently learned that Montana Black is the matt range.

http://www.montana-cans.com/products/Cans/Montana_BLACK/Montana_BLACK_400ml/20

It's stocked by a skate shop right in the middle of the Belfast model shops I visit, so it's convenient, and I might give it a go before looking for Army Painter or Humbrol colours.  I'll also have an excuse for that when I have to paint a lot of redcoats soon.  (Even with foundation or heavy pigment paints, I don't fancy brushing on all that red)

But I'm not entirely sure what the 'nitro-combination lacquer' is like, to apply, paint over, and possibly strip.  IIRC the Gold went on a bit thick, which might have something to do with it's purpose as graffiti paint; but it might've been down to conditions and noobishness too.  Has anyone else tried it before?

If no-one reading this has: watch this space.

Oh, and: what shade would you recommend for British Redcoats?  Code Red?  Power Red?

(And don't worry, I'll get back to talking about sculpting again, sometime soon.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:04:29 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
Re: Montana Black spray paints?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 07:42:16 AM BST GMT »
Have you tryed using an airbrush ? Many of the big mini painters work a lot with the airbrush. It might seem expensive at first to buy the whole set up but it's so worth it since you can also use it for other stuff. Like Graffitti on model trains for that slight little extra of realism :P

No seriously, an airbrush is a great tool and it is quite fun to use, the cleaning is a bit of a disadvantage compared to a brush but still.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:09:41 PM BST GMT »
I've considered it.  I know of a couple of possible compressors I could blag for it, and I've been taking more notice of the airbrushes in some of the hobby shops or hobby sections I've been visiting.  I don't know if I should start out with a bog-standard £10 Revell one, or invest more in something better right off the bat.
And which brand?  I've heard good things about Badger, in the past.

Anyway, back on topic. :P  I'll get a can of Montana Black for the same reason I keep buying different putty - to see what it's like!

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 12:55:04 PM BST GMT »
Cool, give us some feedback on it then please.

@Airbrush: Badger airbrushes are great from what I hear from the painting monkeys. I only own a very cheap knockoff version, but its good enough for bigger models like 54mm and vehicles ( priming minis is no problem of course ). I would recommend not getting a revell one, get a cheapo noname double action airbrush from ebay and see how you like it, If you like it buy a Badger later on.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 12:07:45 AM BST GMT »
I had a badger airbrush when I was 15 and thought I could instantly paint like HR Gieger with it.....
I ended up trying to paint Boris Vallejo backgrounds in fluffy orange and cyan :S
I was running it with one of those gas (CO2?) canisters, bloody thing would get so could after 5mins that it would freeze up!
Anyway, it was a swine to clean for an impatient lad and it's probably in mother's attic somewhere....

Umm, carry on. ;)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2012, 01:05:03 PM BST GMT »
I went to the shop on Thursday: they were out of Montana Black reds, so the guy pointed out Montana Gold.  "They're the glossy ones, aren't they?"  "Oh no!  They got reformulated about a year ago so Black and Gold are both matt now."  I was skeptical but took his word for it anyway.  Fool me twice...

Today; nice warm, dry day; shook the can for a long while; warmed it up in my hands; took a trio of idle tyranids outside; and had a go.
It stops shy of clogging up the details, but the only thing moderating the shine is the layer of grit that the can laid over the minis first.  The government should hire Montana Cans to coat the roads in bad winters.
Maybe people'll wonder what I'm whining for, and I've seen people put up with worse; and maybe I'll give the can another try in a few weeks when the bad taste leaves my mouth.  Right now though, I don't care if Montana Black is a superior alternative.  I don't want to throw any more cash to find out.  I'ma goin for an airbrush.