Author Topic: vibrating plate?  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Beefcake

vibrating plate?
« on: August 13, 2012, 02:07:18 AM BST GMT »
I've been making some resin bits and pieces but the trouble is they still get a lot of bubbles in them in corners etc. I hear that when dentists use teeth molds they have a vibrating plate to shake bubbles out of things. Does anyone know a) whether this is true, b) would it be useful for one-sided molds and c) would it be cheap?
Or is there a cheaper way to remove the bubbles from molds, not including pressure systems.

Thanks

Beefy

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
Re: vibrating plate?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:17 AM BST GMT »
I used to use a little mirror on which I had the mould, with a long plastic ruler beneath it. Put some pressure on the ruler with one hand to fix it to a table and make one end of the ruler stick out. Poke it and let it go boioioioioioing a few times, works similar to the vibrating plate. Or you could get a cheap ladypart vibrator thingy and fix it to a small piece of wood where you put your mold on, should work too and be less hassle. Might be a bit more complicated to explain what you are doing with a dildo taped to a piece of board, but hey...it works.

Still this method will not guarantee you good castings/air free castings. For that you need pressure and vacuum, but it will improve your current results at least a bit.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Icy

• warfairy.net
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:24:33 AM BST GMT »
I've heard of people attaching cell phones to their moulds and release the resin bubbles by setting the vibration alarm. Never gave it a try though. I had good results by "drawing" the bubbles out with a needle, but this is too much work really and it only works with transparent resins.

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 12:01:40 PM BST GMT »
Pressure systems aren't all that complex or complicated or even expensive. You just need to seal off the casting with a vacuum attachment somewhere on the enclosure. Rubbermaid bin with some modifications to make the rim airtight, rubber lining, perhaps. Then just suck the air out with the vacuum for a bit.

Otherwise, I'd probably go and get a vibrating massager from the health section at Walmart (or wherever else you find them, usually in the "health" or "sports" sections from what I've seen). I've seen people use palm sanders and a whole host of other things. Anything that vibrates will obviously shake the mold enough. So, you probably have something you can use already, like a rotary tool, drill, sander, etc.

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 02:11:10 AM BST GMT »
Thanks for the quick replies. Vibrating massager sounds good. Failing that I guess it's off to the adult shop lol. I'll give it a go and see about putting my results up here.

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:10:40 PM BST GMT »
give the mold first a coat of resin with a brush or Q-tip, then if there are air bubbles it will not show up on the surface, still need to shake it after

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 07:24:50 AM BST GMT »
A good idea. Would you then let the resin set or use the same batch of resin to fill it up while that first coat is still wet? Thanks

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2012, 04:59:31 AM BST GMT »
Pliug-in vibrating massagers (the non sex toy kind I mean) are often to be found at car boot sales for under £5.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 12:11:32 AM BST GMT »
This is a very wierd thread.

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 07:41:51 AM BST GMT »
It did start of as a very genuine inquiry :)

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 11:54:07 AM BST GMT »
sorry for not getting back before, I use the same batch, just brush it in the mold then fill as normal, does not work with resin with a short pot life (fast drying) as it takes longer then normal casting, but normal resin or slow drying works great

Offline Beefcake

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 11:41:02 AM BST GMT »
That's fine. Thanks. I use easycast which sets in about 6 minutes and has about a 2 minutes work time. I've just been using a toothpick to get some bubbles out of my 1 sided casts at the moment which has been working well.