Author Topic: I'm going to ask a really stupid question.  (Read 2604 times)

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
I'm going to ask a really stupid question.
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:56:25 PM BST GMT »
I've had a couple people make inquiries about getting a copy of my current sculpt once it's finished. I'd love to accommodate the request, but unfortunately, I've never actually done a cast before, aside from some really amateurish Easy Mold press molds on low-detail parts.

So, here's the dumb question: is there a way to get a small number of casts without it being a massively laborious and expensive process? I've seen lots of sculptors mention doing their own quick casts (eg, they'll sculpt a weapon, and then make a cast of it to put in a character's hands, because the original is too frail), but I'm not sure what sort of processes and materials are being used. The comments are usually pretty casual ("I knocked out some casts"), so I'm assuming it's a fairly manageable process, but all the casting methods I'm aware of require some pretty elaborate equipment to get started (eg, mould materials that require de-gassing, and/or whatever is needed to melt pewter).

So, yeah. What kind of small-scale, minimum-fuss casting techniques are out there, if any? I'm not looking to do full-scale production of a piece, but if there's a way I can get a dozen or so copies of the piece, I could make a few people happy.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:02:04 PM BST GMT by captainspud »
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
Re: I'm going to ask a really stupid question.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 02:29:01 PM BST GMT »
Well you can make molds out of silicone and home cast in resin, but it is messy and the results aren't always the best ( air bubbles and flash ). With a bit of practice it gets easier and you get better results. Taking a look at the mini though I would strongly recommend a casting service. Looks too complicated to home cast and the materials are quite expensive, so probably you will save money getting some professional casts done instead of buying everything you need and having to use lots of material to get a few good results. Plus it is not the healthiest thing to do if you don't have the right equipment.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 05:07:24 PM BST GMT »
probably you will save money getting some professional casts done instead of buying everything you need and having to use lots of material to get a few good results.
Are there any professional casting services that do small batches like that? It doesn't seem like it would be worth their effort if I'm only ordering 10-20 minis (which is the most I think I'd ever be able to move).
"Yeah, and?"

Offline ImpactMiniatures

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 07:12:20 PM BST GMT »
If it's resin,  you could go to Valiant.   $50 for a resin mould and that will yield about 35 minis.   Then it's just up to how many you want.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
    • putty down!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:54:55 PM BST GMT »
There are a few smaller casting services across all of europe, don't know for the states but I am sure Troll Forged Minis can help you, should you be based in the US.

Offline mondria

• Midnight greys
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:19:34 PM BST GMT »
starter kit for resin casting can be got for €50-60, does need a lot of practice but I find it very useful to have, quality will be less then from a pro caster ofcourse

Offline Blackdragon

• Black Dragon Castings
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:10:03 AM BST GMT »
Im sure i can help you. A 28mm single piece model will cost around £15 for the mould, and can get around 40 from it. can email me on info@blackdragoncastings.co.uk

Regards,

Alan

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 10:51:16 PM GMT GMT »
Update: WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :)

They were WAY cheaper than I expected, so I got 50 of them. :D Mega props to Ian at Black Dragon for making me feel like a "real" sculptor. :)
"Yeah, and?"

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
    • putty down!
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 07:30:46 PM GMT GMT »
Hey congratulations to the castings, I remember that special moment.^^