Author Topic: 'Bad Concept Art'  (Read 3678 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
'Bad Concept Art'
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:54:02 PM BST GMT »
I saw this topic on conceptart, where the OP asked for specific examples of bad concept art to avoid.  It quickly turned into a list of complaints about fantasy cliches, a lot of which are pretty familiar in the miniatures world too.  Worth a browse, I think:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=245045

Also leads onto this post at Concept Central:

http://conceptcentral.blogspot.se/2009/01/science-fiction-and-fantasy-art-cliches.html

Offline Ninja_Butler

Re: 'Bad Concept Art'
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 01:53:59 PM BST GMT »
I can't access the first link, Avira is flagging it as an unsafe website. But the article in the second link is interesting; I agree with some points but I also think some of the best artwork is borne out of clichés, I don't believe originality automatically makes an artwork better any more than an original story must be better than a familiar story; Star Wars was totally unoriginal, traditional swords & sorcery but set in space and blatantly ripped off from the Lensman stories.. but it was awesome!

Cliché can be good when it's done right, I think some of the best stories and concepts are very predictable and familiar and unoriginal but it doesn't matter when they are so good; the story of Snow White shouldn't be popular in the modern age but it is. Something I've always loved about Japanese manga & animé is how they create completely fanciful, fantasy realities rather than doggedly adhere to historical accuracy and realism.

Strike Witches; whatever you might think about the *cough* lack of clothing of the main characters, the idea of the World being invaded by aliens in the year 1939 and defended by (scantily clad) teenage witches using "magic engines" instead of riding broomsticks has got to be a winner.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 05:05:36 PM BST GMT »
I can't access the first link, Avira is flagging it as an unsafe website.

Ah, forgot about that.  Sorry!  But don't worry too much about it.  Avast gets hot and bothered about it too, and there's been plenty of people asking about it on the forum.  Apparently there is a virus on the forum, but it's an old one, doesn't seem to be infecting anyone's home computers (not with updated antivirus and a scan or two), and just seems to be causing a few access problems on Conceptart.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=242981

Do I need to be worried at all about posting/visiting here until this gets resolved?

I did a full Malwarebyte scan last night - came up with nothing. If you're to date I think you might be safe - it's a pretty old virus. I have everything on my computer backed up.

But if you're still worried, there's a server move that should be completed this week, and should take care of it.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 02:37:42 PM BST GMT »
Interesting read. Thx Vermis. They all seem to agree with what I dislike, chainmail Bikinis and senseless armor. Unfortunately I heard what sells best is half naked women.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Revliss

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:46:21 PM BST GMT »
Unfortunately I heard what sells best is half naked women.
but  will  fully naked women  sell  better ?

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 02:53:32 PM BST GMT »
the golden rule seems to be to cover at least 5-10% of the skin, the rest doesn't matter. completely naked minis don't sell that much I think.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore