Author Topic: ImagineFX Anatomy vol 2  (Read 4120 times)

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
ImagineFX Anatomy vol 2
« on: July 04, 2012, 04:49:41 PM BST GMT »
I've just noticed ImagineFX brought out a second volume of How To Draw And Paint Anatomy, and from the looks of things it's been out for a couple of weeks already.

WHSmith shut down their Belfast shop, so I think I'll have to order online, meself.

Offline Badsmile

• Insomnia blackbelt
  • Digital and traditional sculpting.
    • putty down!
Re: ImagineFX Anatomy vol 2
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 05:38:14 PM BST GMT »
Looks interesting enough, do you have the first volume and is it worth it ( worth it at nine pound for sure, but you know what I mean ) ?
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 08:33:21 PM BST GMT »
Coincidently I just picked it up, worth every penny, really "user friendly" for want of a better term, I must look up vol 1.

This one has really clarified the interaction of the shoulder joint with the torso for me.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 03:34:12 PM BST GMT »
I've heard of Borders and WHSmith exclusivity in the US and UK respectively, but no mention that Easons is selling it in Ireland!  I picked up a copy yesterday.

Looks interesting enough, do you have the first volume and is it worth it ( worth it at nine pound for sure, but you know what I mean ) ?

I still have to give it a proper readthrough, and I'll have to go over Vol. 1 again, but the main human anatomy content seems similar: a rigorous construction system rather than photo references.  Explains a lot about shapes and changes made by bones, muscle, movement etc.  I think the main difference is that, instead of a back section on animal anatomy, it has articles on how to paint.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:30:46 AM BST GMT »
I missed vol1, is it still available?

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 08:10:33 PM BST GMT »
Not on the website, anyway.  I remember it sold out it's first limited run, then they did a reprint a while later.  Strange they don't keep up a digital version, at the very least.

So.  This might come across as taunting, but I compared the two volumes a little more...

a rigorous construction system rather than photo references

Or as vol. 1 puts it, formulaic drawing vs. observational drawing.  Though it stresses the former shouldn't be practised aty the expense of the other.

There is a bit of overlap in the human anatomy workshops, especially as each volume has a different workshop on shoulders.  But the first volume seems more concerned with presenting the major body masses and appendages, one to each workshop - torso, head, legs, arms etc.  Volume 2 looks at a couple of others, what might be 'problem' areas - back and pelvis - and has a little more emphasis on the figure in motion.
Where Vol. 1 has a human anatomy workshop section and an animal anatomy workshop section, vol. 2 has has a human anatomy workshop section that almost transitions into a few smaller sections.  I.e. the last human anatomy workshops are about drapery and drawing the figure in motion, and that leads onto a small section on quickly sketching gesture, movement and shadow in life drawing.  That leads onto a section on the principles of drawing, and that leads to a section on painting.  Although given the source magazine, it's about mixing traditional and digital art, and making the shift to digital art.

And I still have to look at the CDs from both volumes, too.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 02:22:59 PM BST GMT by Vermis »

Offline zemjw

• My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 09:13:29 AM BST GMT »
volume 1 can still be bought as a pdf (I think, with Zinio you can never be sure) from here for £5.83

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2012, 09:50:49 AM BST GMT »
Thanks.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 02:48:06 PM BST GMT »
Complied version out now.