Author Topic: Extra Terrestrial Control  (Read 14573 times)

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
Extra Terrestrial Control
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:09:06 AM BST GMT »

Click for bigger.

The setting is the near future - alien anthromorphs are raiding the planet earth, hitting targets of their own cryptic choosing. Their motives are unknown and their methods chill the blood. The world is all but imploding on itself by the pressure of inter group nationalistic conflict and the ever growing fun-house-mirror abominations of corporate greed made flesh. The stage is set- the Pre-Apocalypse. Some men of power, behind the curtains, have yet found faith inside of themselves and reached out to each other. Tentatively forming a black, inter national, para military organisation they have named E.T.C. Their motto is "Gladius Mundi"- sword of the world. Now the race is on. Will the invaders from space succeed in their alien plans, an untold fate of horror for the planet? Can the E.T.C. fight them back and foil their efforts?

I've elaborated on my plan on my blog; the idea is to make some interesting progress on several fronts. The first one you see above the text here. More fluff to ignite the imagination. An important aspect of making a game, or game pieces, is to give the player a foothold or a beach head from which to launch his fantastic journey. I'm pleased with the result, it took quite a while. I think I'll do more later as I progress. Some in a lesser scope, like individual concept art and the such.

I'll start first with props and accessories, I'd like to improve my efforts in machined items. The first bit is going to be an MTAR 21. My initial plan is to scale some measurement data and then, using a wire as both an armature and the barrel itself, sculpt "all around" in a layered fashion. We'll have to see how it goes.

The points I'd like to hit on as I go:

-More "fluff".
-"Mechanical" pieces.
-customization ability.
-interesting poses.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:13:08 AM BST GMT by Hellbeard »

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
Re: Extra Terrestrial Control
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 12:42:54 AM BST GMT »
Started out on the MTAR-21 otherwise known as the X-95. This is going to be the 5.56 version without the hand guard and no frills- only the red dot sight. I began by massing reference material and then scaling the known measurements to 1:64. As it turns out, the scaled down version seems very small and frail. The actual rifle being 580mm long translates to 9mm in scale. It's a good explanation why usually we see exaggerated weapons and gear. Yet, I decided to carry on and try to be true to scale as much as I can.

I transferred the proportions using the old grid system:
This drawing is 1:6.4

This is 1:64. The lines were made with an 0.3mm mechanical pencil.

I used this template to compare my progress with.

I had a 9mm piece of wire and not much of an idea on how to work. I thought, since this is highly technical, to work in structured layers.
I decided to try and build as far as I can in one go so you can see the stump for the hand hold and the body is almost fully formed. The main problem, though, with working only against the wire is the shapes come out lumpy and the details don't hold well. Upon looking at the final result in macro photography I became somewhat despondent that it doesn't look good. However, thinking about it as a basic shape to start from it's actually very good for me. It's just not going to be as fast going. I intend to sand the sides down quite a bit and then work from there.

Edit: style.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 12:57:12 AM BST GMT by Hellbeard »

Offline aly.r

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 08:12:06 AM BST GMT »
Rather impressed! I always thought the best way to go would be to make it out of milliput or magisculpt and scrape it into shape but i'm no longer convinced having seen this.

Offline Bergil

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 11:06:38 AM BST GMT »
Cool.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 02:50:46 PM BST GMT »
Rather impressed! I always thought the best way to go would be to make it out of milliput or magisculpt and scrape it into shape but i'm no longer convinced having seen this.

Thanks. It might still be the way to go. Look at these new shots, it's not as crisp as can be, really. I think I still don't have the magic formula.
Thanks, Bergil

Here is the second layer on the x-95. Still to add are the magazine and the sight as well as some odds and ends.

It's not as lumpy as before but still, I'd like to get crisper details. Maybe I should try again with all brown stuff. Though, I've seen examples with green stuff that looked as hard an edge as any so maybe chalk it up to inexperience. 

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:31:34 PM BST GMT »

Here is the next bit, still some things to do. There was a whole fiasco with the magazine. I inserted a thin copper wire to serve as an armature and had only noticed that it poked through the side when I mixed some green stuff to add the charging handle and casing deflector. In the end I'm going to have to cover the whole thing up  with a layer of flat surface and detail so it's not too bad. There are a few other touch ups necessary like flattening the bottom of the stock.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 08:13:55 AM BST GMT »

Both methods are valid.
Good start Hellbeard.

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 10:17:16 AM BST GMT »
Looking good to me so far...

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 11:30:15 AM BST GMT »
Thank you Andrew May and moonmin82

Almost done with X95.V.01. Added first layer to the experimental X95.V.02 and began the base mass for X95.V.03
V.02 and V.03 are going to be exclusively brown stuff.

V.01

V.02

V.03

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:36:28 AM BST GMT »
Couldn't fix V.02 in place for working on it after removing from paper. Scrapped.
V.03 split down the middle after sanding and  the magazine and grip broke off. Brown stuff is brittle. Scrapped.

V.04 makes his debut appearance:

On the left is V.03's corpse.

The main body has a wire through it and thinner copper wires for the magazine and grip. It's composed of green stuff. The plan is to have the flat surfaces and angular details in brown stuff and all the round stuff in green.

Might take a while so I started on some figures:

The skulls will serve me as a structure for making the heads.

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 11:22:48 PM BST GMT »
V.04 in progress.

A solid start. I'm sure I can much improve with more experience but one must be patient in that regard.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 09:16:29 AM BST GMT »
Making modern guns is really hard, I'd suggest simplifying them just a little....maybe. I've usually made a crude shape from milliput around a wire and them used small files to work them into shape, then added the details after, might be another avenue for you to explore.

Offline Burano

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 11:12:45 AM BST GMT »
As Andrew says, modern guns is one of the hardest things to sculpt.

This link may be useful. (is in Spanish, but you can use google to translate it).

link: http://spanish-team.com/foro/viewtopic.php?t=6011

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 12:56:32 PM BST GMT »
Thanks guys! It's hard but I'm not despairing yet.

Andrew - I am doing some artistic license editing on how it looks already. I'm fearful that with such small dimensions the milliput will break. I will probably end up trying it anyway.
Burano - Thank you for the tutorial. Luckily I know basic Spanish. :) It seems very similar to the method I'm using right now with the exception that I don't have a pin vice. I'll study it some more, the results look good!

Offline Hellbeard

• Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 01:23:59 AM BST GMT »
carved V.04 up a bit. Added the grip, hand guard, charging handle, forward iron sights and two small bits at the back with green stuff. I also added a kind of under structure for the red dot sight. Now that I finished this part I realized the one side looks wonky because the forward part of the top cover is not aligned with the rest of it. I'll remove and resculpt it which should improve the appearance. Next phase I'll do some general repair work and add the magazine skin and red dot sight.

Also made another skull and improved the proportions two of the older skulls. This new one is going to need a forehead transplant. It didn't come out as well as I planned because I worked on it in the same sitting as the x-95 V.04 and it was second priority. I've made 4 more base armatures which I'll try to make nicer skulls on.