Author Topic: Warhammer 40.000 Books  (Read 1432 times)

Offline zorro

Warhammer 40.000 Books
« on: May 24, 2012, 07:12:39 PM BST GMT »
I have read quite a few of these recently, and to my surprise I enjoyed them quite a lot (I am not a GW hater, just didn't like spacemarines for some reason). Though it is a bit boring that they go on and on about how large and awsome the marines are..(and a bit too much man love for my liking :) )Salvation's Reach was is a favourite of mine.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
Re: Warhammer 40.000 Books
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:12:53 AM GMT GMT »
Sorry to necro this thread now, rather than replying back in May, but...

The Black Library is a rum do.  Very variable quality.  To be honest I view most of their titles with caution.  I have a small collection of 'classics' - Gotrek, Eisenhorn, Ragnar etc. - but for a while afterwards I managed to pick up a string of turkeys.  Among others there were Caiaphas Cain (hilarious in the Inferno! short stories, but insufferable in novels), A Murder in Marienburg (I read two chapters, threw it against the wall, and swore off the BL), and the first Darkblade novel. (it lured me back, but Dan Abnett's name on the thing is some red herring)
Speaking of Dan Abnett, he and Graham McNeill are two safe pairs of hands, IMO.  The only two BL authors I really trust enough these days, to shell out for before browsing or borrowing.  They drew me back to the BL a second time, after I borrowed a copy of Titanicus, and bought the Ravenor omnibus and Mechanicum. (the first Horus Heresy novel I tried, being opposed to the sweeping away of the mystery and legend of that time)  At the mo I'm waiting for Priests of Mars to turn up in paperback (I like the Mechanicus!  But not an extra £10 for two bits of card), and I notice there's a new installment in the Eisenhorn/Ravenor cycle. (can I call it a 'cycle' at this point?)  Looking forward to those.

But, yeah.  It might take me another while to warm to the 'one novel/series for every SM chapter!' thing they've got going on.

Offline Badsmile

• Please call me Mati.
    • MASSIVE VOODOO
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 09:31:52 AM GMT GMT »
tbh I didn't like any of the BL books so far, didn't read too much of them but well... I have Galaxy in flames and a few others from the heresy "cycle" (?) and a few about some imperial bloke called gaunt and his buddies. My friends said those would be THE best BL books to read. I won't get any of the new or the older ones though as I have to admit I didn't like those I read at all.
skype me ! contactname: badmandalore

Offline zorro

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 10:40:59 PM GMT GMT »
Maybe I only liked them because they are my first sci-fi books...I usually read "classic" literature or fantasy, but thill warhammer 40 K I was a virigin to this genre in the book format. I will have too give some other books a go.