Author Topic: New to sculpting -15mm rifles  (Read 4586 times)

Offline scall

New to sculpting -15mm rifles
« on: May 22, 2012, 01:24:20 PM BST GMT »

Hi

I'm  playing about with 15mm sculpting and Ive been using GS and pro create. I also have some miliput standard yellow/grey. I seem to have most success with green stuff, im not sure why, It may simply be that I'm getting better, which timed with using GS :) Anyhow, I'm now looking at modern rifles. Ive not really found any tutorials on this and wondered if anyone could pass over advice and tips on what material is best , sculpt one side at a time?, use a wire armature for it ? and that sort of stuff

much appreciate it

thanks

Scall

Offline Icy

• warfairy.net
Re: New to sculpting -15mm rifles
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:25:57 PM BST GMT »
Welcome aboard :)

In my experience complex 15mm wire armatures aren't worth their effort. You can use wires for the arms and legs, that should do it, you could also just add layers of putty to a putty armature.

As for the sculpting materials: try cardboard, plasticard, wires, wood, putties. I found carving and cutting plasticard tubes and bars to be too tedious, for weapons it may usually be best to simply work with putties and wires - here some of my weapon experiments (a bit overexposed though):

had my best 15mil results with mixes of GS and the brown Miliput. Not sure what you mean by "sculpt one side at a time?".

In the end no one can tell what materials and techniques are best for you, you'll have to find out yourself. Don't think too much, just try and see what techniques and materials suit you.

Cheers

Offline scall

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:59:35 PM BST GMT »
Thanks for the reply

I mean 'one side at a time' I sculpt one side of the rifle let it cure and then sculpt the other side of the rifle, as opposed to doing both sides (the whole rifle) at once

hope thats clearer :)

Offline Icy

• warfairy.net
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:14:14 PM BST GMT »
Sounds like you're sculpting  the weapon only, without it's shooter ? One side at a time is 'safer', both is quicker. You can do it either way, just keep in mind you mustn't touch it while curing.

Offline Caerban

• My Den of Silliness
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 11:13:39 PM BST GMT »
I haven't really worked this small but if possible I would find a stiff wire of the right gauge for a rifle, it'll take the work out of things to some extent. Cut it for the full length of barrel and stock plus a bit extra and then mount the excess into something, like a pin vice. Then work both sides from the stock to the end of the barrel. Let it cure, take it out of the vice, snip barrel to length and add any further details you couldn't to the barrel end.

Offline scall

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 09:52:59 AM BST GMT »

I like that vice pin idea

thanks to all

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 11:33:14 PM BST GMT »
I haven't really worked this small but if possible I would find a stiff wire of the right gauge for a rifle, it'll take the work out of things to some extent. Cut it for the full length of barrel and stock plus a bit extra and then mount the excess into something, like a pin vice. Then work both sides from the stock to the end of the barrel. Let it cure, take it out of the vice, snip barrel to length and add any further details you couldn't to the barrel end.

That, I generally add BS or milliput to the wire and then file into shape.