Sad Clown
1 (0.2%)
Solo, The Last Mariachi
111 (23.7%)
Wolf Trumpeter
1 (0.2%)

Total Members Voted: 468

Voting closed: May 08, 2012, 10:10:27 AM BST GMT

Author Topic: Mini Sculpture Competition 2012 - Voting  (Read 10143 times)

Offline CrumbReaper

• CrumbReaper
Re: Mini Sculpture Competition 2012 - Voting
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 12:39:38 PM BST GMT »
heads up to anyone interested in my Cthuloid Servitor Piper - it's been picked up by Geronimo at Fenris Games and will be on
it's way to get cast and released by him as part of the Strange Eons range  8-)

I sculpt weird stuff

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 12:52:59 PM BST GMT »
Congrats Crumb. :)

And if it makes you guys feel asny better, I didn't vote at all.  Looks like there are a few secret admirers out there!

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2012, 02:26:39 PM BST GMT »
Any news on casts of th winning entries? Will we be seeing photos of how they turned out?

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 01:26:39 AM BST GMT »
Mine's gone to CP models, I'll let you know when it's around in metal.

Offline coffeemini

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 02:34:56 PM BST GMT »
Any news on casts of th winning entries? Will we be seeing photos of how they turned out?
Mine just got out! Be sure I'll post pics here! I'm excited to be "troll-casted"!

Congrats on yours, Andrew!

Offline PF

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2012, 03:59:17 PM BST GMT »
Lots of cool ideas and/or good sculpts.

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 10:19:50 PM BST GMT »
"Solo, The Last Mariachi" is definitely my fave, he's a little on the big size in relation to 28m minis but he's nicely proportioned, detailed and dramatic. I'm surprised it didn't win.

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 05:03:28 PM BST GMT »
I agree that it's probably the best-sculpted mini in the lot, but I didn't vote for it because it only barely conformed to the contest theme-- it's primarily a guy with a sword, with a guitar haphazardly thrown onto the back. All of the interesting parts of the mini are in the combat posing, with the instrument feeling like an afterthought.
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline Ninja_Butler

« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 10:42:58 AM BST GMT »
I see what you mean now, it's like the guitar should be where the sword is.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2012, 12:12:33 AM BST GMT »
Mine is now availiable from CP models.

Offline coffeemini

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 06:12:35 PM BST GMT »
"Solo, The Last Mariachi" is definitely my fave, he's a little on the big size in relation to 28m minis but he's nicely proportioned, detailed and dramatic. I'm surprised it didn't win.

Thanks for the nice comment!

To Captainspud: the character was actually designed like that. You can see the sketch I did following that link:
http://coffeemini.deviantart.com/gallery/
and go to the "Solo, the Last Mariachi" folder.
My initial idea was a "Slash" sculpt (from the Guns'n Roses) but it just wasn't cool enough so I made him into a weird Mariachi.

And if you were wielding a katana and a sawed-off shotgun, this is definitely where you'd have to put the guitar. ;-)

Offline Thrasym

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 04:12:01 AM BST GMT »
I never got the impression the guitar was an after thought, probably because everything else seems to convey the intended imagery. At least, to my eyes. But of course, I guess you can throw a guitar on anythings back.

At any rate, it's great these types of things can be discussed/debated here without it turning into an argument/attack where everyone is offended.

Offline captainspud

• CaptainSpud.com
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2012, 03:30:27 AM BST GMT »

Thanks for the nice comment!

To Captainspud: the character was actually designed like that. You can see the sketch I did following that link:
http://coffeemini.deviantart.com/gallery/
and go to the "Solo, the Last Mariachi" folder.
My initial idea was a "Slash" sculpt (from the Guns'n Roses) but it just wasn't cool enough so I made him into a weird Mariachi.

And if you were wielding a katana and a sawed-off shotgun, this is definitely where you'd have to put the guitar. ;-)
That's not what I meant by an "afterthought". Basically, it feels like your goal from the get-go was to design a guy with a sword and a gun. The guitar doesn't matter to the mini in any way-- you could remove it and the mini would look just as good (in fact, it took me a few viewings to even realize it was there). Whereas, if you removed either of the weapons, the pose completely falls apart.

Which brings me back to my original comment-- on a technical level, it's inarguably the best-sculpted mini submitted to the contest, and my hat's off to you for all aspects of the execution. But in a contest about sculpting musicians, I couldn't bring myself to vote for a mini where the musical instrument is an irrelevant costume detail.
"How did you know you weren't really going crazy?"
"The voices in my head kept calling me Bruce."
"Yeah, and?"
"In my head, that's not what I call myself."

Offline coffeemini

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 09:34:35 AM BST GMT »
That's not what I meant by an "afterthought". Basically, it feels like your goal from the get-go was to design a guy with a sword and a gun. The guitar doesn't matter to the mini in any way-- you could remove it and the mini would look just as good (in fact, it took me a few viewings to even realize it was there). Whereas, if you removed either of the weapons, the pose completely falls apart.

Which brings me back to my original comment-- on a technical level, it's inarguably the best-sculpted mini submitted to the contest, and my hat's off to you for all aspects of the execution. But in a contest about sculpting musicians, I couldn't bring myself to vote for a mini where the musical instrument is an irrelevant costume detail.

I'll entirely agree that this character was a little far-fetched for the competition theme. And that a character wielding weapons in both hands having an ELECTRIC guitar on his back looks a bit silly. But I can assure you it was not an afterthought from my part, even if I can understand that it feels that way to you. So I'll gladly give you the figure doesn't make sense as a "musician" litterally speaking...

Yet, the gun is a reference to Rodriguez movie "Mariachi" which is the main theme for the character. Then the sword could be a reference to "Kill Bill" even though I didn't like this movie much... The point was to have the character "slash" an enemy :-P (his hat is the same as Slash's from the Guns'n Roses if you're not familiar with it).

And thanks for your nice comments on the sculpt techniques. I'd like to have more time and be able to share my latest works. I'll try to do it soon!