Author Topic: Solo, the Last Mariachi  (Read 6417 times)

Offline coffeemini

Solo, the Last Mariachi
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:06:33 PM BST GMT »
Hello guys,

Here is my entry!

Entry name: Solo, the Last Mariachi (on a 30mm base)
Get in his way and he'll blow your brains with a sawed-off shotgun or "Slash" you in halves with his katana! Yep, he's cool, plus he wears Converse and has a nose piercing.

Looking forward to your comments!

Edit: For those wondering about the scale I made a comparison shot. He's a tall guy but not a giant. He wears a big hat though :-D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:37:54 PM BST GMT by coffeemini »

Offline moonmin82

• CMON Profile
Re: Solo, the Last Mariachi
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 08:09:12 PM BST GMT »
Looking forward to your comments!

Holy crap that's good!

Offline Bergil

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 08:20:05 PM BST GMT »

Offline aly.r

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 10:06:39 PM BST GMT »
Utterly fantastic but how big/tall is it?

Offline zorro

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 10:24:47 PM BST GMT »
Amazing really, though it does seem a bit tall, but I can never tell these things.

Offline Andrew May

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 10:45:04 PM BST GMT »
Really superb work there!! :froth: And where did you spring from? Lol
Not sure how well those dreadlocks will cast mind. What medium did you use for the figure out of interest?

Offline El Vengador Gonzalez

• La Quebradora
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 04:45:29 AM BST GMT »
Ay Carumba! it´s awesome
Your village is in danger? don´t be afraid muchacha, I´m El Vengador González and this is La máscara del justicio

Offline coffeemini

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:48 PM BST GMT »
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Utterly fantastic but how big/tall is it?

He's 29mm to the eyes which makes him quite a tall dude.

Really superb work there!! :froth: And where did you spring from? Lol
Not sure how well those dreadlocks will cast mind. What medium did you use for the figure out of interest?

I've been an irregular follower of the site since the beginning but never actually participated. This competition must have been the "push" I needed ;-)
I'm not sure either the dreadlocks will cast at all. And I was ready to go even further: having a wire coming out of his guitar's plug and flying around him. Maybe I'll add that later.

Offline zorro

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:51:20 PM BST GMT »

Wow, makes it even better, now show us xour other work, this can not be your only sculpt :)

Offline coffeemini

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:27:29 PM BST GMT »
Wow, makes it even better, now show us xour other work, this can not be your only sculpt :)

With pleasure! I just need some time to upload pics to my deviantart account (which is easier said than done...) and find the right place in the forum to put a thread with my personnal works.

Offline coffeemini

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 05:22:54 PM BST GMT »
For those interested I added a size comparison pic at the end of the first post in this thread.

In the "Finished sculpts" section I also started posting some of my older things. I'll complete it when I get more time.

Offline Vermis

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 11:54:11 PM BST GMT »
Agreed with everything everyone else said: astounding sculpt, and very pleased the compo lured you out of lurker mode. :)  But thinking about it, there's one thing troubling me, and that's:

Does that take the legs akimbo into account?  Stood up straight, I get the feeling he'd be a very tall dude.

Offline coffeemini

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 02:48:39 AM BST GMT »
Agreed with everything everyone else said: astounding sculpt, and very pleased the compo lured you out of lurker mode. :)  But thinking about it, there's one thing troubling me, and that's:

Does that take the legs akimbo into account?  Stood up straight, I get the feeling he'd be a very tall dude.

Hi Vermis! Thanks for the comments. And thanks for the great site!

I posted a size comparison pic in the first post: he's a tall guy but definitely not a giant. His proportions are closer to the Star Wars plastic stuff than GW, see below:

Offline dracon magis

• one off minis
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 08:25:26 AM BST GMT »
just from the sacle shot i can tell your scale category is very off.  i almost certain hes 40mm scale the problem arises in his pose his head is down and his legs are in a squat if he was non dynamic he would be around 40mm especially since he looks like a giant compared to a space marine (who is 32 mm BTW)

anyway ... your anatomy looks spot on (his arms are a bit long maybe) and you have a good grasp of drapery (much better on both counts then me) im not really liking the bass wire hair but i guess that was a time call on your part. also why isnt his sword hilt got any sculpting? its large enough to warrant it.

i hope we can see more of your work  :)

Offline coffeemini

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 07:31:39 AM BST GMT »
just from the sacle shot i can tell your scale category is very off.  i almost certain hes 40mm scale the problem arises in his pose his head is down and his legs are in a squat if he was non dynamic he would be around 40mm especially since he looks like a giant compared to a space marine (who is 32 mm BTW)

anyway ... your anatomy looks spot on (his arms are a bit long maybe) and you have a good grasp of drapery (much better on both counts then me) im not really liking the bass wire hair but i guess that was a time call on your part. also why isnt his sword hilt got any sculpting? its large enough to warrant it.

i hope we can see more of your work  :)

Thanks for the nice comments. The guitar strings as hair was totally intended. I wanted to go for Slash using these strings as hair and then I decided to give him a twist and made him a Mariachi-warrior-thing :-)
You're right on the sword hilt, maybe I'll add something later on.

On the scale I totally disagree with you though. The contest rules say "The 'scale' will be 28mm, including it's common variations and deviations.  I.e. 28-32mm, heroic or realistic scale."
So it's 28 to 32mm scale. I took another comparison picture next to an Eden range figure. The Eden figure is 32mm to the eyes and my mini seems very well on scale with that. But I'll let you see for yourself: