Ta Bennett. Also, sorry, I think I missed out a t first time!
The putty is a mix of green stuff and apoxie sculpt. For bigger, rougher shapes in the earlier stages, I add maybe half apoxie sculpt or a bit more. As the details get smaller and finer in the later stages I use more green stuff, with just a bit of apoxie sculpt to 'loosen' the greenstuff for sculpting, and make it a tad easier to scrape or trim after hardening. For some particularly small additions or modifications, I might just use green stuff by itself. It's not an exact science, though!
The cape is based on a few tips from the old milliput site, only performed with GS and AS, obviously! They include rolling and folding the putty on a flat surface, 'floured' with talc to stop it sticking. (I can't remember if I used talc or something like vaseline for this one) This is apparently done to align the polymers and strengthen the putty when it's cured. Then the putty is allowed to cure to 'leather hardness', when it's resistant to fingerprints and dings but still malleable. It's cut, folded and curved to shape, and stuck to the sculpt.
This is the second draped cloak I've done, IIRC. That made the apoxie sculpt fairly necessary, 'cos I don't have much practise and it needed a bit of cleaning up afterwards. You can see the rough edges in the couple of steps after the cloak's attached. (cutting all those scallops out of the edge was tricky business too)
That's partly the reason I didn't cut, shape and drape the entire cloak too, and only stuck that initial part across the shoulders and along the arms. The other part of the reason is that at leather hardness and with a coating of talc, putty can be difficult to stick down, and needs a lot of surface and a lot of pressing. Any intricate detail I might've been able to put into the top of the cloak would be ruined. Not that I think I could put in intricate detail at this stage. I'm still some way behind the likes of Tre Manor for this kind of thing. (and most other kinds of things)
Anyway. After sticking it on (and keeping some of the loose folds in place, in a similar way to Jan K.
) I cleaned up the edges, added the rest of the 'cloth' over the back and arms, bulked out the folds and nudged some of them to one side, added some minor folds, and filled in the gaps on the inside, between the cloak and the body/legs. In particular I filled in the large loop of the cloak around the figure's right leg, to make it easier to mould and cast. I'm not sure it was entirely necessary, but the guys were happy with it, so there we are.
The smaller cape and big collar didn't need to be suspended from or between anything, so they were just sculpted normally over the shoulders and neck.